Welcome to Week 5 of our 2017 Australian Survivor Power Rankings!
Your three Power Rankers for this season are superfans – aka #SurvivorAU megafans, James ‘I’ll get on the show one day’ Rowland, the easily confused Jonathan Sloan, along with first-time watcher Josh Willett.
We’ll look at the contestants tribe by tribe, ranking in terms of who we think is the favourite to win at this point. All three of us are unspoiled so don’t stress about this ruining the outcome for you lovely souls.
This season, three of us will take a weekly look at each player left in the game, ranking them in order from most likely – least likely to win the game as of the end of the weeks’ action.
The scoring system is pretty simple; each ranker receives points correlating to the Survivor’s ranking the week they are voted out. For example, if the next person voted out was Anneliese, James would score 1 point, Jonathan would score 1 and Josh would score 2. At the end of the season, the highest scorer wins.
This segment, and this website in general, is all about feedback, so please comment/tweet about who you agree with, and make this a real discussion between the fan community.
Competition Standings (Up until the end of episode 11) – Kent voted out this week.
1. James – 45 Points ( up 8)
2. Jonathan – 38 Points ( up 8)
3. Josh – 33 Points ( up 6)
|1||Jarrad Seng||Nicola ‘Ziggy’ Zagame||Nicola ‘Ziggy’ Zagame|
|2||Tessa O’Halloran||Jarrad Seng||Jarrad Seng|
|3||Locky Gilbert||Tessa O’Halloran||Tessa O’Halloran|
|4||Peter Conte||Ben Morgan||Peter Conte|
|5||Nicola ‘Ziggy’ Zagame||Peter Conte||Henry Nicholson|
|6||Ben Morgan||Aaron ‘AK’ Knight||Ben Morgan|
|7||Henry Nicholson||Locky Gilbert||Locky Gilbert|
|8||Aaron ‘AK’ Knight||Henry Nicholson||Aaron ‘AK’ Knight|
With the impending complete tribe swap I’m going to assess each player on their game and how high likely the target will be on them in a likely swap scenario.
- Jarrad has gone quiet lately after his strong opening. I don’t think he is neccessarily seen as AK’s No.2 which bodes well for him. He is good enough in challenges and not making too many waves to be considered for now.
- Tessa will find a way to avoid the vote, I do realise she was targeted early but if the numbers don’t go her way there will be bigger fish to fry.
- Locky will be saved by this swap and more likely than not he will be kept until the merge for challenge prowess. Can’t wait for the scenes where he complains about AK to others.
- Peter, I thought you were not in trouble, but Tara was very salty when you didn’t vote with her 15 odd days ago. But you should be right, Tara doesn’t hold a grudge right?
- I sat screaming at my TV. You absolutely, do not, want to be voted to get the reward. But if your tribe is offering it up you aren’t just going to flat out refuse that now are you? HUGE target is set on Ziggy’s back now. Very interested to see what she tells her tribe about the idol(s).
- Ben has improved in my eyes, that clutch finish to the
immunitysuper special reward challenge was impressive. In saying that I could see Ben being culled if your tribe loses and there is not an AK or Henry to target. Better hope you swap into a pond with big fish.
- Henry you are one of my absolute favourites this season. But mate, you really are in a tough spot going into this swap. Your two closest allies have been chopped and you only made a bond with Locky on Samatau. Nice move in handing Jericho a fake clue, but possibly the wrong guy to try that on.
- AK is a known game threat and if he is swapped onto a tribe with any coalition that doesn’t consist of his majority, I see AK in a huge amount of trouble. No idol to save him and people gunning for him who he already voted out. I’d be asking Ziggy if she could give you one of those idols quick smart.
- Ziggy is clearly the player to beat right now. The fact that everyone trusted her enough to basically give her this super idol speaks volumes as to just how good her social game is.
- I read that we’ve gone seven consecutive episodes without hearing from Jarrad, which is a new Survivor record, but for some reason it’s not like he’s been absent from the show. Maybe we just haven’t heard from him because his spot in the game is perfect.
- To be honest, Tessa’s been pretty forgettable these last few weeks. But she seems smart, so I’m giving her the benefit of the doubt.
- This was absolutely the breakout week for my boy Ben. Won the challenge for Samatau in the most recent episode, and I’m sure this is the start of a legacy for the true challenge beast. Ozzy who?
- I found it really telling that, when AK was naming his allies before the Reward Tribal Council, he mentioned that he trusted Ziggy, Jarrad and Tessa, but not Peter. That’s not ideal going forward if he’s the obvious fifth wheel in that alliance, coupled with Tara’s grudge against him.
- To be honest, if I hadn’t seen the ad for the tribe swap, I would have had AK much higher, because he’s sitting beautifully in this tribe. But a swap could seriously derail that, because he’s such an obvious target moving forward.
- This tribe swap can’t come quickly enough for Locky. At this point, I don’t think he even cares where he goes, as long as it isn’t with AK. same fam.
- Anyone who’s seen me in the live Reddit throws knows that I’m a huge Henry fan, and I would legitimately love to go to Splendour and see Vampire Weekend with him, but things aren’t looking good at the moment. His best shot is getting swapped to a tribe without Ziggy and her idol-cancelling power, because I think that idol is gonna have to be used if he’s to make the merge.
- Ziggy is straight to the top after she was backed in by her tribemates to win the Super Idol. It’ll be interesting to see how she explains the situation to her tribe, but regardless she is in a fantastic spot.
- Jarrad is still playing a part in calling the shots for the majority, but he’d be loving the fact that he can patiently wait in the wings while the alpha males duke it out around him.
- Tessa is in a good spot within the majority alliance and seems to have some influence within the tribe. She is playing a good game and is placed well barring any major moves.
- I’m not 100% on Peter’s game at the moment, but he’s sitting in the majority so I guess he’s safe for the time being?
- Henry has a huge target on his back after giving off some serious “AK week one” vibes of trying way too hard to engrain himself within the tribe. His immunity idol is still in play so he should be safe for now, but his overall plan of switching tribes is falling apart just like his old alliance.
- Ben has made the most of his shift to Samatau, and is placed in the majority alliance. I mean yes he’s on the bottom of the majority, but he’s still in it, so that’s a plus for him.
- Locky managed to get over the fact that he’s not him when he’s hungry (Is he gunning for a Snickers sponsorship post game?), but his attempt to get himself the ultimate reward was dead before it started, so he’s clearly still very much on the outer.
- AK’s laziness around the camp has to be grinding a few gears, plus I’m really falling behind the other boys so I’m persisting with the Hail Mary pass that is having AK on the bottom of my ranking. It would take a big move for it to happen, but I do think it’s getting more conceivable by the episode.
|1||Anneliese Wilson||Sarah Tilleke||Anneliese Wilson|
|2||Sarah Tilleke||Anneliese Wilson||Sarah Tilleke|
|3||Odette Blacklock||Jericho Malabonga||Luke Toki|
|4||Michelle Dougan||Luke Toki||Jericho Malabonga|
|5||Jericho Malabonga||Michelle Dougan||Tara Pitt|
|6||Luke Toki||Tara Pitt||Michelle Dougan|
|7||Tara Pitt||Odette Blacklock||Odette Blacklock|
- Anneliese had an awesome showing this week. From the cheeky idol snag to creating a bond with Sarah, it shows that she is thinking about the game. Some may say it was dumb to trust Sarah but it shows vulnerability that someone like Sarah will appreciate. She is forging a bond which will go far.
- Why would I doubt that Sarah would land on her feet? After being ousted by Kent as a threat, her name didn’t pop up again and she handled Anneliese’s situation great. Other people would go back to the majority with information about an idol but Sarah saw the opportunity to create something else which was spot on.
- Odette could be saved by this swap, she is unassuming and now in a position to make the merge. As long as her and Sarah don’t bicker too much in future challenges!
- Michelle is par for the course right now. Not the biggest threat but also could be a challenge liability. Really depends on who she ends up with.
- Jericho has proven to be sneaky and this perception will eventually show up on the island. He may be collateral in a swap.
- While Luke is personable and so bloody fun (TWO SHARKS), he could be in trouble. Somewhat seen as the head of the Asaga majority, he could be targeted by a Tessa, AK, Jarrad core if the numbers fall that way. Imagine if he Teams up with AK though. That would be a producers dream.
- In Survivor it is not a good idea to be hellbent on revenge. It tends to unravel and the person you target so hard may go out but you will have created such a target on yourself that you will be next. Tara will not rest until AK is out, I can guarantee that. She’s going to be so vocal about it that it will ruin her game, again.
- For some reason, everyone seems to want to work with Sarah, which is great for her, but really poor judgement from everyone else.
- Anneliese had a great week, with her dorky T-Shirt being the MVP of the family gifts. Also now holds an idol, so she’s looking good for the moment.
- Jericho is getting all the benefits from his relationship with Luke, but without any of the target. Also, interviews from those who have been voted out have all said that everybody out there loves this guy almost as much as he loves cookies and ice cream, so surely that’s a good sign.
- He’s undoubtedly the breakout star of the season, and he’s sitting pretty at the moment, but there’s definitely a danger that Luke could be usurped pre-merge, just like Craig last year. Could Sarah be his Phoebe and ruin it all for him?
- Last week we learnt that Michelle is a wine mum. This week we learned that she needs to get herself some Passion Pop ASAP, because she needs to relax. The INV-INV-INV-OTTN5 edgic is a bold move Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off.
- I honestly can’t really remember anything Tara did on the show this week. I’m just assuming it wasn’t very good, because that seems to be the recurring trend with Tara’s gameplay.
- Was great to hear a bit about Odette’s backstory, but the numbers aren’t looking good for her. While a tribe swap sounds good for Odette, she doesn’t really have any allies to work with.
- Anneliese has rocketed to the top for me after finding that immunity idol and linking up with Sarah, she’s in a very strong position and must be absolutely loving her move to Asaga.
- Sarah had another good week of making moves, and she’s in a fantastic spot aligned now with Anneliese. She’ll be around for another while I reckon.
- Luke will keep making bold claims and trying to make big moves, but I’m not sure there’s enough of a reason for the others to try to get rid of him, which suits him perfectly.
- Jericho is still placed well as the loveable scamp of the tribe, and still not seen as a threat which is exactly what he’s after.
- Tara seems to have solidified a place within Asaga, so I think she’s safe for now unless she gets chucked back in with her Samatau mates in the swap.
- Michelle’s name just keeps coming up at tribal council, and there’s only so much further she can go given her struggles in challenges.
- Odette looks clearly on the outer after this week and even though it could just be the edit, I’m not sure she has the social game to drag herself back into the majority. She could be in strife.
What do you think? Are we close at all or way off? Who has the best chance to win our competition?
Thanks for reading!